Georgetown Street Names
*Academy Road:After the Georgetown Academy, a private school near the old Smith and Stone Factory.
*Albert Street: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Goth (1819-1861) married Queen Victoria in 1840.
Alcott Drive: Gordon Alcott, town resident, founder of Little N.H.L.
Hockey Alley: Small alley between Highway #7 and Back Street, that once led to a stable
Argyll Road: Reed and McKinnon families came from Argyllshire, Scotland.
Arletta Street: Arletta Willisie, grand-daughter of Morris Kennedy
*Armstrong Avenue: John T. Armstrong, Mayor, 1952-1959
Back Street: A small street so named because it is back of Main Street.
*Bairstow Cres: Harold Bairstow, a Rex Heslop manager.
Barber Drive: Barber’s were a pioneer industrial family.
Bard Lane: In the area of streets named after poets, Shelly, Keats, Byron.
Beverly Lane: Name suggested by Law Developments
Bob Goldham Way: Bob Goldham is a local hockey hero. “Bobby Goldham” is his professional name. His family was one of the merchants on Main Street as well. At 18 he broke into the NHL with the 1942 Stanley Cup Champion Toronto Maple Leafs. He went on to win 5 more Stanley cups. He was known as one of the most “outstanding defencemen in the NHL.”
Brian Lane: Name suggested by Law Developments.
Byron Street: Lord George Gordon Byron, (1788-1824) English poet
Calvert Drive: Name of the developer.
Campbell Gate: Campbell Sinclair, owned area farm.
*Carole Street: Daughter of developer, Robert Lane.
Caroline Street: Wife of Philo Dayfoot, cofounder of Dayfoot Tannery.
Casa Court: Spanish word for house.
Cedarvale Court: Overlooks Cedarvale Park.
Chapel Street: a Salvation Army chapel was once situated on this street.
Charity Street: Charity Wurtz was the first wife of John Kennedy.
*Charles Street: Charles Young, son of developer James Young or Charles Dade, James Young’s brother-in-law.
Cherry Street: Named after trees in the area.
*Church Street: Location of Knox Presbyterian and Congregationalist Churches.
Churchill Cres: Street of wartime houses built for returning veterans.
Cleaveholm Drive: Harold Cleave, owned area farm.
*College Street: The Georgetown Academy, a private school was located here, near the old Smith and Stone Factory. The last owner, Rev. Nelson Burns called it Georgetown College
Craig Cres: Former farmer of Lot 12, Con 10.
Cromar Court: Named for Cromar Hill on 15 Sideroad, west of 8th
Dale Gate: Leroy “Andy” Dale, Mayor 1922-1926 Line. When 15 Sideroad was re-directed, the 113.23 m that was left as a court was renamed on 6 May, 2002.
Davis Cres: Farmers of Lot 12, Con. 10
*Dayfoot Dr.:The Dayfoot family established a tannery in Georgetown in 1843.
Delma Court: Wife of developer, Rex Heslop.
*Delrex Blvd: Combination of the names Delma and Rex Heslop, Delrex subdivision developer.
Donaghedy Drive: Lyons family came from Donaghedy, Scotland.
*Dufferin Street: Lord Dufferin, Governor General of Canada 1872-1878.
*Durham Street: Lord Durham, Governor General of Canada, 1838 and author of The Durham Report.
Eaton Street: Margaret (Eaton) Reid, sister of Timothy Eaton.
*Edith Street: Edith (Phillips) Dade, sister-in-law of James Young.
Edward Street: Edward Tyers, area landowner.
Edwin Lane: Named by Law Developments.
*Eleanor Cres: Wife of developer Harold Fobert.
*Elgin Street: Lord Elgin, Governor-General of Canada who established responsible government in 1849.
*Elizabeth Street: Wife of Tom Hewson who owned farm in that area.
Emslie Drive: The Emslie family farmed Lots 13 and 14 from 1939 until Delrex Developments purchased the property in 1956.
*Ewing Street: First regular minister at Knox Presbyterian Church.
Gardiner Drive: Gardiners lived on Maple Avenue for many years.
*Garnet Drive: Middle name of developer Rex Heslop.
*George Street: George Kennedy, son of John Kennedy, pioneer family.
*Gibbons Place: Joe Gibbons, Mayor, 1934-1943: 1947-1949: 1964-1968.
Glen Road: Extremely short road in front of old Smith & Stone, joining Victoria and Academy.
Gooderham Drive: William Gooderham, Norval shop-keeper and distiller. He later established Gooderham and Worts Distillery of Toronto.
Gollop Cres: Eli Gollop, Norval harness maker.
Gower Road / Court: Rev. Charles Gower (1893-1961) was minister at the First Baptist Churches of Acton and Georgetown from 1947 – 1950. He lived with his wife at 48 Main Street North, Georgetown. (Herald, 12 Jan. 1961)
Guelph Street: Opened in 1828 as the York to Guelph Road.
Halton Hills Dr: Address of new Town Municipal Building.
Hamilton Cres: William Hamilton former town councillor, also farmers of Lot 12, Con. 10.
Harley Avenue: Georgetown businesspeople most remembered for Harley-Kay Knitting machines.
Harold Street: Harold Cleave, area farmer.
*Heslop Court: Developer Rex Heslop.
*Hewson Cres: Tom Hewson owned area farm
. Hillside Drive: Road climbs a small hill from Mary Street.
*Hyde Park Drive: Ernest Hyde, Mayor, 1960, 1961, 1963
Irwin Cres: Could be named for Irwin Noble, Town Councillor and owner of Noble Dairy.
*James Street: James Barber, owner of paper mill.
Janet Cres: Janet (Moore) Ruddell, Moore Park subdivision built on Moore farm property.
John Street: John Kennedy, son of John Kennedy, pioneer family.
*Joycelyn Cres: Combination of names, Joyce and Lynn Hewson.
*Joseph Street: Joseph Barber, of pioneer family.
Kay Lane: Annie Kay, owner of Lot 12, Con. 10, wife of George Davis and the Kay family were partners in Harley-Kay Knitting machines.
Keats Avenue: John Keats (1795-1821) english poet.
*Kennedy Street: Kennedys were the founding family of Georgetown..
Killaloe Cres: Place in Scotland where pioneers William and Mary Reed were married.
King Street: Named for the monarch.
*Lane Court: Robert Lane, developer.
Lilac Lane: Area of streets named after trees.
*Lorne Street: Marquis of Lorne, Governor General of Canada, 1878-1883.
Lynden Circle: Area of streets named after trees.
*Lyons Court: Tom Lyons, former town councillor.
*Mackenzie Drive: J.B. Mackenzie, Mayor 1930-1933.
Main Street: The Main Street of the town.
Maple Ave: Named for the maple trees that line the road.
*Margaret Street: Margaret Tyers, daughter of Edward Tyers.
*Marilyn Cres: Marilyn Heslop, daughter of developer Rex Heslop.
*Market Street: The area where the first market place was held in the village.
McCullough Cres: McCullough’s were farmers and a local doctor
. McFarlane Drive: Farmers of Lot 13 & 14, Con. 10
*McGilvray Cres: Garfield McGilvray, former town councillor.
*McIntyre Cres: Donald McIntyre, Mayor, 1927.
McKinnon Ave: John and his son Archibald Hugh McKinnon were farmers of Lot 11, Con. 10 from 1840 until 1899.
*McNabb Street: Probably Sir Alan Napier MacNab.
Mill Street: Once led to George Kennedy’s mill.
Miller Drive: Farmers of Lot 12, Con.9 and Russell Miller, Mayor, 1983-1994.
Moore Park Cres: Moores were owner of area farm.
*Morris Street: Morris Kennedy, son of John Kennedy, pioneer family.
Mountainview Rd: Refers to the view of the Niagara Escarpment.
Mull Gate: McKinnon family came from the Island of Mull, Scotland.
Nazer Street: Local artist and librarian at Georgetown. She was a painter and designer of stained glass windows. Her greatest work is the windows in Holy Rosary Church on St. Clair Ave. West, Toronto. She died in 1982.
Nixon Cres: James Young Nixon farmed Lot 12, Con.9 from 1844-1879
*Noble Court: Irwin Noble, former town councillor.
Normandy Blvd: Street of wartime houses, built for returning veterans, named after the Battle of Normandy, 6 June 1944.
*Norton Cres: Alan Norton, former town councillor.
Ontario Street: Named for the Province of Ontario.
Orchard Blvd: Named for apple orchards that grew in the area.
Ostrander Blvd: Mr. & Mrs. H.E. Ostrander had market garden in that area.
Park Ave: Street leads into Fairgrounds Park.
Parkview Blvd: Named because it abuts the local park.
*Pauline Street: Pauline Tyers.
Pinevalley Trail: Named for pine trees. White pine is the symbol of Ontario.
Preston Street: Named for Isabella Preston (1881-1965), First woman hybridist in Canada (1916), created “George C. Creelman” lily when living in Georgetown, where she died. She originated over 200 hybrids.
Prince Charles Dr: First son of Queen Elizabeth; heir to the throne.
Princess Anne Dr: First daughter of Queen Elizabeth.
Queen Street: Royalty
Reid Court: Reid’s were owners of area farm.
Rexway Drive: Developer Rex Heslop River Drive: Traverses the Credit River.
Riverview Cres: Overlooks “Silver Creek”, West Branch of the Credit.
Roane Ave: Richard Roane farmed Lot 12, Con.9 until 1854.
Robert Lane: Name suggested by Law Developments.
Rosset Valley Court: Rosset was the developer.
Rosetta Street: Wife of John Dayfoot of pioneer family.
Ruddell Cres: Ruddells were local area farmers.
*Ryan Road: Annie Ryan, former principal of Georgetown Public School (later Chapel Street Public School).
Samuel Cres: Samuel Jeffery Lyons farmed Lot 12, Con. 10.
*Sarah Street: Sarah Kennedy, wife of the town’s founder.
*Sargent Road: Douglas Sargent, Mayor 1962.
Shelly Street: Percy Bysshe Shelley, (1792-1822) english poet.
*Sinclair Ave: Campbell Sinclair owned area farm.
St. Michaels Street: Michael was father of John B. and Philo Warner Dayfoot, pioneer family.
*Stevens Cres: A Rex Heslop Employee.
Stewart Maclaren Rd: Maclaren’s were area farmers. Stewart Maclaren died in WW II.
Stone Street: Dorothy Stone was a Georgetown artist and portrait painter who designed the official crest for the Town of Halton Hills.
Sumach Trail: Area of streets named after trees
. Summit Lane: Located at top of “Silver Creek” valley on 9th Line.
Smith Drive: Mary Smith, a widow who lived on 9th Line and William R. Smith, Mayor, 1971-1973.
Split Maple Lane: Named by developer, Maple Creek.
*Terry Court: Son of developer, Robert Lane.
*Todd Road: Matt Todd, a Rex Heslop Manager.
Treanor Cres.: Matthew Treanor, original owner of Lot 11, Con. 10
Valleyview Road: Offers a view of the “Black Creek” valley.
*Victoria Street: Queen Victoria, reigned 1837-1901.
Watson Road: Norval businessmen
Webster Way: Samuel Webster (1843-1928), doctor, County Warden and Sheriff.
*Wesleyan Street: Wesleyan Methodist Church, now the Odd Fellows Hall.
*William Street: William Barber, pioneer family.
Windsor Road: The family name of the Royal family.
Wylie Circle: The Wylie family lost two sons, Robert and William, during WW II